Saturday, October 15, 2016

Rite of Passage, Week 2 The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Just started week 3 of the Rite of Passage, the meat of the program is going well and making progress, but there's some technique that needs to be cleaned up. We're a glass half full cheery type in general so we'll describe it like the Sergio Leone film starring Clint Eastwood as The Good The Bad and The Ugly, which, as the third installment in the unknown man series, was way too long and not as good as A Fistful of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More.

The Good
No issues pressing the 70 on heavy day, got all the reps, 75 each side.  Did it under 60 minutes with one arm rows with an 88.  The 88 has felt, manageable to tell you the truth.  Did 166 swings/15 sets with an 88 in 8 minutes.  Snatched for 2 minutes straight for 38 reps and wasn't breathing heavy afterward. Diet locked in.  I took my buddy Tommy's advice, 3 squares.  No more fasting.  Done with it for now.  2 scoops of protein powder with apple or banana and milk, 3-4 egg/3 egg white omelet with kidney beans, broccoli, spinach, peppers and onions for lunch.  Normal dinner, meat, starch, salad.  Variety Day week 3, I was squeezed for time, did 4 sets of 50 two hand swings with a 70.  Felt like I was doing a set of 20 swings.

The Bad
My kettlebells suck for snatching.  I can't put it any other way.  The 55's enamel handle gets slick with perspiration after about 15 reps.  Need to drive over to Captain Calisthenics house and get one of his 52's. Nice way of asking huh, Tommy Rambo?  Did 18 on the left side before it was going to fly out of my hand and 20 on the right.  Grip great, breathing great, form good.  It's all about the darn drop for me, one pinch and welcome to blood blister city.

The Ugly
Trying to snatch a heavier bell.  On variety day with a 62.  The drop with my left hand from the palm to the fingers.  I wasn't catching it right and it caused my swing to go too low.  did 3 sets of 5 each side and ended up pinching my left hand on the last rep.  Not doing that anymore.  One hand heavy swings instead. Doing isometric cleans on variety day with the thicker handled 88 lb bell. Dropped it to my fingers, whoopsie, thud and put another dent in the carpet.  Going to put an area rug or rubber mats in that room.  This occurred just before I tried snatching the 62, so let's just say, it was not the greatest of workouts

What's next? 
Stay the course, medium day today, 50 reps each side. Rolled an 8, going to see if I can beat 166.  I already rolled the dice for easy day and will be snatching for 9 minutes.  I think I'm going to open it up a little bit and see how many snatches I can get.  Yes, I will put gloves on.

Retired from indoor soccer. Just getting nagging injuries every year.  Two years ago, big toe stepped on by a cleat, and a pulled right calf.  Last year, kicked in the ribs, and lower back issue, which wasn't brought on by soccer, but kept me out of a session for a few weeks. I'll just have to remember what a legend I was in my own mind on the indoor pitch.

i am going to start playing basketball again. Just need to man up and get myself down to the gym.  Hopefully the body will do what the mind wants. 



No comments:

Post a Comment