Thursday, September 29, 2016

10,000 Swings in 10 Days Day 10 9/28/16

Well, it's over.  I completed the workout last night at 7 PM after an exasperating day.  I had a choice at 6 PM with the black cloud of doing 1000 swings over my head.  I could have skipped a day, or work out my aggravation.  I chose the latter.  Parenting teenagers can be quite the challenge. 

The Workout: Used a 62.  Hands had healed by the time I got to the workout.  Did 6 x 6 for Goblet Squats, one set before each 100 swings for the first 6 sets.  Did 740 two hand swings, 260 one hand swings in 61 minutes.  Didn't use a timer just turned on the TV, watched sports shows and swung away.  Last 500, I did, a ladder of 10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50 then back down.  Done.

The Diet:  Yesterday had scrambled eggs,with cheese, turkey kielbasia and an orange for lunch, a protein shake at 4 PM with an apple, peanut butter, milk and coconut oil.  Wasn't hungry after the workout, just skipped dinner.

Weight: 186.8 -3.6  Waist 35.5 down 1.5

Feedback: I always felt the swing was overrated and preferred to do the snatch.  I've really come around on the swing.  It's simple to learn and effective.  If you do it the right way, your back shouldn't even come into play.  I've noticed my shoulders and arms are more defined after 10 days.  I've definitely lost fat.  My pants are a lot looser. You will be hungry doing this workout.

My grip increased, sets of 40 and 50 with a 70 were easy.  I can do sets of 40-50 with the standard, 55 all day long. 1000 swings can seem daunting, but it's basically an hour.  I had zero soreness at the end other than my hands, no back issues, nothing.  I'd rather do this than farmer's carries. Just my preference.

I've read where the body adjusts and you start getting diminished returns with the swing.  I don't know if I agree with that.  Would I push it and do another 10,000?  No, I think that would be overtraining and too much of a good thing.  This is more of a shock cycle.  However, I think, you need to do at least 300-400 swings to get any real results.  I would compare 100-200 to jogging a mile or 2. 300 swings can easily be done in 15-20 minutes with a moderately heavy weight. 

I didn't even think it was that tedious.  Not as boring as the Russian Bear.  Nothing is as boring as the Russian Bear, or German Volume Training. 

Make sure your form is locked in, you're mentally ready and you take care of your hands.  You MUST take care of your fingers and callouses.  I did use fingerless gloves, wrap a layer of a towel around the handle and chalk when I started sweating.  Don't do this with kettlebells that have rough handles.

What's next? Day off today obviously, going to try and lock down my diet.  A lower volume heavier approach with presses, like a 10 x 3 and a 10 x 5 for squats.  Start doing more hill sprints, vs jogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment